Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Technology Assessments

The assignment for this week was to compose a 250-word paper on my my responses and reflections of the two technology assessments in Week 1, including my strengths and weaknesses in educational technology leadership as a principal on my campus. Well, lets start by simply saying, I could easily write the whole 250 words on my weaknesses and skip right past the part about my strengths.
The 3 self-assessments made it clear that if I have even one strength regarding technology, it is my sheer determination to learn. It is also apparent that I have some knowledge of the classroom management and organizational strategies that are needed to manage a technology-supported learning environment, and I do have a clear understanding about the ethics relating to copyright and fair use issue.
Now, onto my weaknesses! The Technology Application Inventory developed by Patsy Lancos drove home the truth that I need to take my technology learning to a higher level. In the Foundations domain I was knowledgeable of less that 50% of the criteria, in Information Acquisition I was knowledgeable in a whopping 60% of the criteria and the Problem Solving and Communications areas I was so weak it is embarrassing.
As a future building administrator these self-assessment are like the proverbial light bulb. If I am going to lead a 21st century learning community, my job starts today. I have no choice but to begin searching out professional development opportunities that will improve my technological literacy.
The State Educational Technology Directors Association Assessment made it clear that not only am I lacking in the area of technology, but that my school is very much in need of a new vision when it comes to using technology to increase learning. Students in my school do not have the opportunity to use computers to create any type of project, or to collaborate with each other, or to even research information. This is the area in which I would most like to see a rapid change. I would like to create a process for sharing best practices with technology so that all teachers can begin to see the ways and means in which to allow technology to support educational improvements in every classroom and for every student.

No comments:

Post a Comment